What is required to be successful with Resolute Legal?
In order to be successful, you will need to meet these six criteria:
1. You must be dealing with a disability claim issue that falls within our scope of work. We represent people in disability claims involving disability insurance, CPP disability, Workers’ Compensation and Life Insurance. We don’t represent people in provincial disability claims (e.g., ODSP, Ontario Works, PWD, AISH). We don’t do workers’ compensation in all provinces. We only handle Disability Tax Credit appeals that are at the Tax Court of Canada. If we determine your claim is outside our scope of work, we won’t be able to work with you.
2. You must be committed to following our Story Alignment Method. The truth is not enough to win a disability claim. To win, you must present your claim so that it aligns with the beliefs, expectations and incentives of the person who decides to approve or deny your claim. This can be uncomfortable because we may ask you to do things you would rather not do. Or that you believe are unnecessary.
3. You must be willing to demonstrate mitigation by following medical advice and engaging in a return-to-work process when appropriate. Mitigation means that a person takes all reasonable steps to minimize their losses. This is a key concept for all disability claims. A failure to mitigate is one of the main ways you will lose an otherwise legitimate disability claim. We will identify all instances where you could be considered to have “failed to mitigate.” We will need you to follow our advice on how to fix these situations. We can often turn these situations from a weakness to strengths, but you must be open-minded and willing to follow our advice. Even when it is difficult, or you may disagree.
4. You must be willing to follow our process and do the tasks assigned to you. We have a proven process that has resulted in us reaching a success rate of over 90% across all types of disability claims. All our lawyers and team members follow the same process, which is grounded in the Story Alignment Method. We can’t win the case without your involvement. We will need you to do things like sign forms, review documents, make decisions and attend medical appointments. This isn’t a situation where you can hire us and not be involved. Or demand that we work outside of our standard process.
5. You must treat our staff with respect at all times. We only hire people who enjoy helping others and have your best interests at heart. However, even with the best of intentions, it is possible you may perceive that a staff member has made a mistake or dropped the ball. Even if there was a mistake, it does not entitle you to treat our staff in an aggressive or demeaning manner. Any aggressive behaviour with our staff during a consultation will immediately disqualify you from working with us.
6. You must be comfortable with an online legal service model. To better meet your needs, we have organized our services to be delivered almost entirely online. We did away with the leather chairs and panelled walls and opted for a service model that could be almost exclusively achieved by distance. So, in order to be successful with us, you need to be comfortable working in a virtual way. That means you must be willing to communicate with our team via phone, email and zoom and not expect to have in-person meetings unless it is a necessary part of a legal proceeding. So, if you are okay with ditching the traffic and working from the comfort of your own home, then Resolute Legal will be a great fit for you.
What does it look like to work with Resolute Legal?
Working with Resolute Legal can be different from what you experience with other law firms. We take an education-first approach to empower you to represent yourself using our free INSIDER membership, books, webinars, course and other resources.
Online Legal Service Model
As previously discussed, Resolute Legal is a virtual firm. Meaning we provide the vast majority of services online. So, what does working online with us look like?
- Signing and providing forms online
- Meetings via teleconference or over the phone
- Using our secure online client portal to see case updates, milestones, and incoming and outgoing documents for your case
We use a team approach. Each team member has a specific role that is important to resolving your case successfully as quickly as possible.
The case manager is your primary contact at Resolute Legal. They are responsible for coordinating with you and all other team members. They make sure that your case remains on track and that we meet deadlines and milestones.
You will have a lawyer for your case. They are responsible for executing the strategy, finalizing all documents, negotiating with the insurance company, and appearing at all meetings and legal proceedings. You will meet with your lawyer at regular intervals throughout your case. They will prepare you for all important meetings and settlement negotiations.
The managing lawyer oversees the strategy for your case. They support the lawyer in making critical decisions about negotiations, legal issues and case presentations. The lawyers and the managing lawyers meet twice per week to review cases and strategies. You don’t meet directly with the managing lawyer.
When we represent you, we use a team approach and follow our signature process called the Story Alignment Method.
Will Resolute Legal be able to help me?
If you are willing to do what it takes to tell your best story, our framework will work for you. We can’t guarantee success, but we can give you the best chance to have your claim approved.
We focus exclusively on helping people with disability claims involving short-term disability, long-term disability, CPP disability, Workers’ Compensation, Life Insurance and the Disability Tax Credit. So as long as you fit into this group, we may be able to work with you.
Our core service is representing people in their disability applications, appeals and lawsuits. For most cases, we only get paid if we are successful and your benefits are paid.
Through our INSIDER Basic membership, we provide free resources and courses for people who want to represent themselves. We have heard from hundreds of people who have used these resources to successfully get their benefits approved.
We are also developing a coaching program for people who want to represent themselves with more guidance from us behind-the-scenes.
Finally, we have a Disability Benefits Protection subscription service where we continue to represent you after your disability claim is approved. We continue to manage your claim and deal with this insurance company. The goal of this service is to take away your stress from dealing with the insurance company and ensure your benefits don’t get cut off.
What does it cost to work with Resolute Legal?
Resolute Legal offers a range of services in addition to our core service of representing people in disability applications and appeals. We answer this question in our article, How much does it cost to work with Resolute Legal?