Disability Benefits Canada: The Essential Guide
This article gives you a high-level overview of disability benefits in Canada. We cover the main topics and include links to more detailed Guides and articles.
Types of Disability Benefits
Below is a complete list of all the types of disability benefits available in Canada. Click on the links to learn more about each program.
- Employment Insurance (EI) Sickness Benefits
- Short-term Disability
- Long-term Disability
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Disability
- Worker’s Compensation
- Veterans’ Affairs Canada
- Disability Tax Credit
- Life Insurance
- Health & Travel Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Provincial Disability Benefits
Eligibility for Disability Benefits
Each program has its own criteria for eligibility. Click on the links above to learn more about each program’s eligibility requirements.
How to Apply for Disability Benefits in Canada
All disability program share a similar process. to apply for benefits. We have summarized this into a step-by-step guide to apply for disability benefits that you can follow regardless of the type of benefit program.
Disabling Medical Conditions
Disability Insurance Companies
- Sun Life Assurance Company
- Canada Life Assurance Company (formerly Great-West Life)
- Manulife Financial