Are you a high school student pursuing post-secondary education? Do you have a parent or guardian who has a disability? If so, you may be eligible for a $2,500 scholarship.
At Resolute Legal, our mission is and will always be to support individuals who are unable to work due to a disability. We support these individuals through legal advocacy and informational content, and now we want to support them by helping the people who mean most to them: their children.
For the first time in Resolute Legal’s history, we are now offering two $2,500 scholarships for high school students who are pursuing post-secondary education. However, in accordance with our mission, the students must have a parent or guardian who is unable to work due to a disability.
What is a disability?
For the purposes of this scholarship, we are defining a disability as a condition that prevents your parent from doing regular work and requires them to be actively collecting or pursuing one of the following disability benefits:
- Short or Long-term disability insurance benefits
- CPP Disability benefits
- Workers’ compensation benefits
- Provincial disability benefits (i.e. ODSP, AISH, SAID, PWD, etc.)
About the Scholarship
To be considered for the scholarship, you must be:
- A Canadian citizen
- In your final year of high school
- Enrolled or accepted for enrolment as a full-time student in the academic year at an accredited post-secondary institution
- Have a parent who is unable to work due to a disability and is actively collecting or pursuing one of the following disability benefits: short or long-term disability insurance benefits, CPP Disability benefits, workers’ compensation benefits, provincial disability benefits (i.e., ODSP, AISH, SAID, PWD, etc.)
- Able to provide proof of enrolment document/ admission letter and a photo of themselves upon selection. (This image will be used when we announce who won our scholarship on social media.)
- Scholarship name: Resolute Legal Disability Lawyers Scholarship
- Scholarship value: $2,500 towards tuition fees and any other verified school expenses
- Number of scholarships available: Two in 2023
- Selection requirement: once the applicants are selected, they will be required to send a proof of enrolment document and a photo of themselves in order to collect the scholarship
Deadlines and award dates
- Application open date: February 17, 2023
- Application deadline: June 1, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. No applications will be accepted after this date.
- Winners notified: June 23, 2023
- Awards sent to winners: Between July and August 2023
Our team will select the two winners using the following criteria:
- Eligibility: You must meet the eligibility requirements listed above to be considered for the scholarship
- Quality of short answer questions: The next thing we will look at is the quality of your short answer responses. Aside from eligibility, this is the main determinant of who we select
- Academic performance: We will consider academic performance if multiple essays are equally strong
Our team will notify the winners via email on June 23, 2023. The winners should respond in seven days; otherwise, another awardee will be selected.
Why a Scholarship?
We decided to start this scholarship because we noticed there wasn’t enough educational support for the children of parents with disabilities. There are hundreds of scholarships for disabled students, but to our knowledge, there are none for students who have a parent with a disability. We wanted to fill this gap.
Our hope is that this scholarship will be a small step towards helping the community we work every day to support.
Interested in applying? Read the instructions, then fill out the form below.
- Fill out the form at the bottom of the page
- Answer the short answer questions:
- What societal barriers do people with disabilities face, and in your opinion, what are some possible solutions? (500-800 words)
- How has having a parent with a disability impacted you? (500-800 words)
- Submit the form
- Our team will notify the winners via email on June 23, 2023. The winners should respond in seven days; otherwise, another awardee will be selected
- The winners must also send an admission letter/ proof of enrolment and a photo of themselves to collect the scholarship
2023 Scholarship Winners
Like what you see? Apply now.
CLOSED UNTIL 2024
Resolute Legal is a law firm that represents people in disability claims involving insurance companies, government agencies, and employers. We serve Canadians nationwide from our offices in Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax, and Moncton.
Our disability lawyers represent people in claims involving short-term disability, long-term disability, CPP disability, workers’ compensation, employment disputes, and the disability tax credit.